Sunday, May 1, 2022

May 2022 Update

During the month of April, I attempted the challenge of writing at least one poem per day. Mission accomplished, with 38 completed and 27 already sent out to various markets. I was a little hesitant to take this on, after feeling like I’d experienced a bit of burn-out after NaNoWriMo, but I found the poetry challenge a less demanding/draining.

Recent Publications
Poetry:
“First Contact,” published in Eye to the Telescope Issue 44: Notional Ekphrastic, April 15, 2022, https://eyetothetelescope.com/ 

“First Canoe Trip,” Parks and Points Poetry 2022, published April 30, 2022, https://www.parksandpoints.com/poetry-2022-/first-canoe-trip

Reviews:
Extraordinary Canadians: Stories from the Heart of our Nation, by Peter Mansbridge, with Mark Bulgutch, posted on the Miramichi Reader web site April 11, 2022, https://miramichireader.ca/2022/04/extraordinary-canadians-by-peter-mansbridge/ 

Lucy and Bonbon: A Novel, by Don LePan, posted on the Miramichi Reader web site, April 18, 2022, https://miramichireader.ca/2022/04/lucy-and-bonbon-by-don-lepan/

What I’m Working On
I’ve been taking advantage of some free online courses offered through our public library, and delivered by a third party provider. I completed one on writing a non-fiction book, thinking that I’d like to someday use the research I compiled for my never-quite-completed Master’s thesis on women’s field hockey in Nova Scotia. I’m now taking a course on writing for magazines. The latter has already sparked a partly-outlined idea which should be ready for send-out in May. Both courses were excellent, and it was clear that the instructors knew their stuff. Lots of helpful information.

Coming Soon
I’ve had a review of Guy Gavriel Kay’s All the Seas of the World accepted, and expect to see the review posted by end of May. More details next month. All the Seas of the World was a worthy successor to A Brightness Long Ago, engrossing and interesting. 

Next month should also see some items appearing in the May issue of Scifaikuest.