Saturday, April 1, 2023

April 2023 update

When I was growing up, I saw team sports as a gig for the relatively young. As an athlete, whatever I played, I played as hard as I could. Due in part to gradually deteriorating knees, I gave up competitive sport in my 40s.

My presumptions about sport and age were challenged when I read a copy of Soccer Grannies: The South African Women Who Inspire the World. Written by Jean Duffy, the book revolves around a soccer team from South Africa composed of women ranging in age from their 40s to their 80s. 

These women find sport to be a wellspring of fitness, fun, and companionship. See the reference below for a link to a review I posted on Goodreads. Soccer Grannies launches May 10, 2023. An inspiring read.

Recent Publications (links are provided for those you can access online, free of charge)
Poetry:
“Occult Cases Squad,” Spaceports and Spidersilk, February 2023, Hiraeth Publishing.

“It’s Only Cute When They’re Little,” “Dogs in Space,” and “[Earth recedes],” Scifaikuest February 2023 print, Hiraeth Publishing.

Reviews:
Birnam Wood, by Eleanor Catton, posted on Goodreads March 9, 2022, https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/5401974485
 
Eclipsing the Aurora, by Peter J. Foote, posted on The Miramichi Reader site, March 15, 2023, https://miramichireader.ca/2023/03/eclipsing-the-aurora-by-peter-j-foote/
 
Soccer Grannies: The South African Women Who Inspire the World, by Jean Duffy, posted on Goodreads March 21, 2023, https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/62143480-soccer-grannies
 
A review of Soccer Grannies was also posted on the Sports Literature Association's review site, March 29, 2023, 
https://sportliteratureassociation.wordpress.com/2023/03/29/soccer-grannies-the-south-african-women-who-inspire-the-world-by-jean-duffy/

Fiction:
“Heart of Gold,” Cosmic Crime, March 2023, Hiraeth Publishing.
 
“The Saboteur” and “The Upper Hand,” Drabble Harvest #8: Out the Airlock, Hiraeth Publishing.
 
Other:
“Steampunk Horse,” artwork, Scifaikuest, February 2023 print, Hiraeth Publishing.
 
What I’m Working On
Through April, I’ll be attempting the poem-a-day challenge, hoping to come out of it with at least 30 poems. I also plan to make progress on some non-fiction article ideas.