Tuesday, September 1, 2020

September 2020 update

Hard to believe the summer is almost over, although the trees have been reminding us of the in-creep of fall by dropping the odd leaf on the ground here and there for the past couple of weeks.

Recent Publications
A review of Lois Legge’s Wounded Hearts: Memories of the Halifax Protestant Orphans’ Home appeared on the Miramichi Reader site, link below:

https://miramichireader.ca/2020/08/wouded-hearts-lois-legge-review/

Toward the end of August, I also received my print copy of Star*Line Summer 2020, which contains abridged versions of my reviews of War, The Truth About Snails, and The Gates of Never. These reviews are available in their full format on the Science Fiction and Fantasy Poetry Association web site, listed under the year of publication of each collection.

My limerick [working out’s said to make you feel...] was listed as a runner-up for Saturday Evening Post May/June 2020 Limerick Laughs contest. You can find the winner’s limerick along with all the runners-up at:

https://www.saturdayeveningpost.com/2020/08/may-june-2020-limerick-laughs-winner-and-runners-up/

What I’m Working On
Having managed to send out a few short stories for consideration in August, I’m continuing to work away at other stories for upcoming submission dates.

I also have a number of book reviews on the go, in various stages of progress. Among them is Nina Munteanu’s cli-fi novel A Diary in the Age of Water—a must-read for Canadians who enjoy speculative fiction and care about the future of the planet, if for no other reason than to heighten awareness of some of the water-related issues that might be looming for future generations. I’ve also got access to an electronic copy of Julie Czerneda’s Mirage. It’s been a while since I read one of Czerneda’s novels, so I’m looking forward to getting into this one.

As longer-term projects for my own writing, I’m putting together a collection of non-speculative haibun around nature/camping/canoeing. I also have a short story collection that I’m putting the finishing touches on, for submission in the fall.

So many ideas, so little time . . .

Coming Soon
I’ve received an acceptance for the forthcoming Third Flatiron anthology, Brain Games. I’ve had one short story and two humor pieces published in previous iterations of Third Flatiron, so I’m excited to add Brain Games to the list.  

Until next time . . .