Monday, October 1, 2018

October 2018 Update

New releases

New Myths, a publication that's housed my work before, included in their September issue a poem entitled "What Really Happened" as well as a short story "Gone". "What Really Happened" is based on part on the antics of my border collie cross Sneeks, and inspired as well by the Gingham Dog and Calico Cat. "Gone" details a dog's search for her missing human after an alien invasion.

Pieces on the New Myths site are available for viewing free of charge. You'll find the link to all of my New Myths pieces, including the most recent ones, here:


I have a poem entitled "With Two Left Feet" coming out in the upcoming Tesseracts anthology Nevertheless. In connection with that book's promotion, I contributed to their "Bright Spots" blog with a piece entitled "Step By Step", that draws on my recovery from knee surgery.


Advance orders kicked off in September for From a Cat's View, issued by Post-to-Print Publishers. I have three contributions in this anthology. The first is a sci-fi short story "The Open Road", about the adventures of a ship's cat named Quicksilver. There are also two poems inspired by the antics of my cat Smokey, "Moonlight" and "A Cat's Confession". You can find out more about the anthology here:


As part of the promo for this anthology, the publisher is running a give-away for cat-themed items.  See here for info:




I had two reviews, for Paths to the Stars by Edward Willett, and Museum of Second Chances, by A.E. Warren, posted at The Future Fire. I enjoyed both books. Willett's book is a collection of short stories that provides plenty of variety and some unique twists. The Museum of Second Chances takes an interesting look at a future society in which species from the past—including Neanderthal Man—are reintroduced. You can find the reviews at The Future Fire site:


The Martian Wave, from Nomadic Delirium Press, came out toward the end of September. That volume included two poems of my poems, "Understanding", and "Will They?" as well as a short story entitled "The Chienchat Conundrum". This story is set on Arcadia, a planet initially settled by individuals from New Brunswick, and revolves around an Arcadian keystone species that has more to it than meets the eye.

You can find out more about the Martian Wave here:


I also discovered that a limerick I wrote was named a runner-up for Saturday Evening Post "Limerick Laughs" contest from May/June, 2018. You'll find the poem and that of the winner and other runners-up here:


The August print edition of Scifaikuest includes three of my poems, "butterflies on Degna", "He's Come So Far", and "Cravings".


And, last but not least, during a camping trip to Earl Rowe Provincial Park in July, we drove past our old place up in Mulmur. This inspired a nostalgic haibun entitled "Good Reasons" that appears in Contemporary Haibun Online, October 2018, vol. 14 no. 3


Coming Soon

New Myths has a kickstarter campaign on for Passages, Best of New Myths Anthology Volume 1. The book's theme is exploring the joys and challenges of entering and surviving a new stage in life. The antho will include one of my favorite stories, "Roxy". Roxy is a story of an AI-enhanced police dog. More deeply than that, the story touches on what our responsibility is to the animals we use, and in this case, enhance, for jobs like police work. The volume will also feature a poem of mine entitled "Fidelis Reinvented".

Details about the coming anthology here:



What I'm Working On

I still have a pair of book reviews to wrap up, and another book for review enroute in the mail.

Though I didn't get past the first round in "WYRM's Gauntlet", in the course of my research for the first assignment I ran across some interesting advice from Ray Bradbury. One of the pieces of advice for writers was to "stuff your head" by reading one short story, one poem, and one essay each night before bed. I've modified this slightly to suit my own needs, but find that reading poetry in this way (small doses) is more enjoyable and more impactful than sitting down to read a book or poetry zine cover to cover, so I'm giving that a try.

Here's a link to the full article:


Also pondering whether to do NaNoWriMo, National Novel Writing Month, in November. If so, I'll be working on a collection of short stories.

And, of course, continuing to work on poems and short stories as time permits.

Until next month...