Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Eye to the Telescope Issue 32 and other items


Lots of things happening so far in April, so I’m providing a mid-month update this time.

Recent Publications
I volunteered to serve as guest editor for an issue of Eye to the Telescope, Issue 32, with the theme of Sports and Games. Eye to the Telescope is a quarterly online magazine featuring speculative poetry, with the theme changing with each issue. For the issue I edited, I received lots of imaginative submissions covering a variety of sports and games. Kudos to all of the selected writers, whose work you can find here:


Chicken Soup for the Soul: Life Lessons from the Dog, released earlier in April, included three stories about Sneeks, a border collie cross with character who lived with us for just over 15 years.

Coming Soon
I had the privilege of reviewing Paul Meloy's Adornments of the Storm, a fitting follow-up to the events of his earlier novel entitled The Night Clock. My review is now written and should appear on The Future Fire’s web site on or around April 23rd.

What I'm Working On
Just finished a second reading of Suzanne Palmer's novel Finder, published by Daw, in order to prepare review notes. Finder is an imaginative and fast-moving science fiction novel that I would highly recommend.

Next up for review writing will be Jack Campbell’s Ascendant, a military sci-fi with engaging characters and plenty of action. Then it’s on to Mike Resnick’s The Master of Dreams, a humorous but suspenseful romp through world strangely familiar—and yet, not.

Still on my first reading of W. Michael Gear's Outpost, with the action just starting to heat up a few chapters in.

More updates at the start of May . . .