Sunday, November 1, 2020

November 2020 Update

Lots of rain the past couple of weeks in our part of southern Ontario. Not to mention the first snowfall a couple of days ago. All the more reason to stay in and write!

Recent Publications
My short story “The Disconnect” was included in Third Flatiron’s Brain Games: Stories to Astonish (Third Flatiron Anthologies Book 28).

Four poems, “For Leonard,” “Ghost Planet,” “History Waits to be Written,” and “Wings of Wax,” were published in Stellar Evolutions, an anthology of stories and poems from the first fifteen issues of Polar Borealis Magazine. In total, the anthology includes 21 poems and 23 short stories selected and edited by RainWood Press Publisher Rhea E. Rose.

A poem “ABC’s of Sci-Fi Nightmares” was published in Polar Borealis, Issue 16:

http://polarborealis.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/POLAR-BOREALIS-16-Sep-Oct-2020.pdf

A poem “For Laika” appeared in House of Zolo Journal of Speculative Literature, Volume 2, available through Amazon.

A poem titled “Into the Sea” was published in Utopia Science Fiction, Vol. 2, Issue 2, October 2020.

A cartoon titled “Corvid” was published on the Funny Pearls web site, October 9, 2020:

https://funnypearls.com/2020/10/corvid-lisa-timpf/

My review of A.J. Hackwith’s Library of the Unwritten appeared in The Fifth Di..., published by Hiraeth Books, September 1, 2020.

A review of Suzanne Palmer’s Finder appeared on the New Myths web site, at the link below:

https://sites.google.com/a/newmyths.com/nmwebsite/books-we-are-reading/finder

I posted a review of And the Angels Sang by Lorina Stephens on Goodreads.

What I’m Working On
I’ve been continuing to work on short stories for send-out, while also reading through various resources on plot and theme. After some dithering, I opted to enrol in NaNoWriMo, thanks to a discussion on the SF Canada website. Rather than tackling a novel per se, I’ll be focussing on nature haibun, based largely on material drawn from canoeing/camping journals, and on science fiction short stories for various upcoming calls.

And, of course, I’m continuing to pick away at some book reviews I’ve committed to do. One of the books I read recently, Julie E. Czerneda’s Mirage, was a real gem. Since I jumped into the series mid-stream, reading Mirage inspired me to check out some of the previous volumes dealing with the central characters, and I liked those too! When I place the review, I’ll post information about where to find it.